by Currado Malaspina

BY CURRADO MALASPINA

Friday, September 16, 2022

BAD BUSINESS MOVE


I rarely collaborate. I am too narcissistic, too jealous, too competitive, and way too petulant to collaborate with other artists. This egregious defect has served me well. The name Currado Malaspina is untainted by associations with lesser minds and inferior talents.

But I recently made an exception.

The project was simply too tempting.

Micah Carpentier's Song of Songs is a vital contribution to the contemporary art discourse. 


Los Angeles painter Dahlia Danton has reproduced this 1972 masterwork from one of Latin America's greatest artists. Micah Carpentier, considered the "Cuban Duchamp," illustrated the biblical poem The Song of Songs and kept the manuscript in a drawer. In 2002, Carpentier's nephew Ezra, discovered the work and donated it to Havana's famed Micah Carpentier Archive. Through the intervention of the State Department and the University of Turin, Danton was granted the sole right to reproduce Carpentier's drawings and enjoyed unlimited access to the archive.

The book, published in August 2022 includes Danton's annotations, a short essay by me and a preface by my good friend David Schoffman.

This will probably be the last time I collaborate with anyone.

The potential residuals are minuscule and the work I put in by way of reputational capital is too costly.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment